Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Superintendent
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values, is responsible for a variety of areas, including foundation, structure and facade thru MEP to interior rough and finish, depending on the size and requirements of the project; acts as leader, coach, negotiator and arbitrator.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Oversees, manages and documents all day-to-day job site activities including Coastal and OSHA safety compliance requirements.
- Directs field personnel according to the project plan and Coastal’s supervisory principles.
- Communicates issues, events, performance and progress daily to the Senior Superintendent or General Superintendent.
- Reports any problems/issues promptly to the Senior Superintendent, General Superintendent, or Project Manager to facilitate the most cost-effective solutions.
- Establishes effective working relationships with clients and Coastal’s team members.
- Requests advice and assistance from the General Superintendent on matters pertaining to materials, sequencing, scheduling and personnel.
- Project Start-Up/Turnover Meeting:
- Identifies pre-mobilization activities in conjunction with the Project Executive, General Superintendent, and the Project Manager.
- Develops start-up schedule with the General Superintendent and/or Project Manager.
- Develops a high performance team through supervision, training, coaching and mentoring.
- Ensures regular feedback is shared with subordinates, including timely completion of employee performance appraisals.
- Fosters and enhances owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
- Ensures strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements throughout the company.
- Supports and drives utilization of Coastal’s initiatives and technology systems.
- Develops the objectives/goals of each assigned individual.
- Assists the Senior Superintendent or General Superintendent in developing the project work plans and recommends revisions when the need arises.
- Conducts inspection of construction.
- Ensures that all products and materials incorporated into the project are per approved submittals and contract documents.
- Communicates with Coastal’s Project Management Team, subcontractors and vendors to assist them in working to the Project Schedule.
- Represents Coastal with owners, architects, consultants, government authorities, vendors and subcontractors.
- Assists in formulating and implementing the construction schedule in the field.
- Assists in the establishment and implementation of the Project Baseline Schedule based on the project contracts and subcontractor input, taking into accounts any elements that might impact the schedule.
- Maintains the schedule and ensures that work performed is consistent with the contract and will meet or exceed client expectations.
- Provides input to the Scheduling Department for them to be able to update the Project Schedule on a monthly basis.
- Provides progress report with the two-week look ahead of schedule to the General Superintendent, Project Manager, Owner and the field staff.
- Insures that all subcontractors participate in a safety pre-construction meeting prior to starting work on the project.
- Insures that all subcontractors have a full set of MSD sheets on the project, as well as their site specific safety plan and current insurance certificate or OCIP/CCIP enrollment ID.
- Reviews the project daily to insure that all activities are being performed in accordance with all Coastal and OSHA and governing requirements and the project site specific safety plan.
- Insures that all first delivery inspections and benchmark inspections are conducted and occur per the baseline schedule so as not to impact the progression of the subsequent work.
- Insures that the inspections and material testing are approved, documented and communicated to the project team.
- Manages site pre-construction including pre-construction survey, job site utilization and staging plans.
- Mobilizes the field office and maintains the job site to Coastal’s standards.
- Organizes documentation of the job site for easy access and review.
- Manages subcontractor performance to quality and ethical standards.
- Works with Project Manager to identify and resolve personnel issues and construction process revisions.
- Manages all phases of the construction process including documenting and reporting site activities and progress, manages excavations and assists with Job Site Utilization Plan.
- Attends project turnover, mobilization and project coordination meetings.
- Attends/chairs safety pre-construction meetings and weekly foreman and safety meetings.
- Attends/chairs monthly schedule review meetings.
- Attends/chairs closeout meetings.
- Attends owner meetings.
- Attends/chairs subcontractor meetings and any other necessary meetings to monitor and manage the project.
- Completes daily reports on a daily basis and maintains logs of key activities, files and shop drawings.
- Manages the quality and condition of all material deliveries.
- Maintains required safety reporting and all other required files to Coastal’s standards.
- Insures that as-built working drawings are maintained as well as the current drawing log and revision log, and communicates this to the subcontractors.
- Assists in the review and response of RFI, Shop Drawings, Product Data and any other document required for the successful completion of the project.
- Manages subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training and punch list.
- Assists the Project Manager in the review of the Value of Schedule and in the approval of subcontractor monthly pay applications.
- Understands and administers Coastal’s Contract and Subcontract Agreements.
- Assists the General Superintendent and Project Manager in the management of the General Conditions pertaining to the field related activities.
- Verifies that the document control processes for all addenda, ASI’s and Drawing Revisions are kept up to date on the field working drawing set.
- Reviews memos and minutes for meetings associated with the projects.
- Works with the Project Team and Management to recover all legitimate GC costs relating to owner changes. Reviews with the Field Staff all field directives and back charges for timely processing on a monthly basis.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, related field is preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in the construction industry.
- 5+ years in the role of Assistant Superintendent or Field Engineer.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency with:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Primavera P-6, Microsoft Project, Hand Drawn Schedules and planning
- Bluebeam, Adobe
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule.
- Familiar with LEED principles.
- Able to multi-task and handle competing priorities between Coastal’s business needs and organizational issues while maintaining excellent customer relations.
- Must understand business judgment and the balance between budget and construction processes.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the many details necessary for successful construction.
- Must have judgment to know when to appropriately escalate issues up the chain of command.
- Excellent management skills to effectively manage subcontractor performance to high quality.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative, and the ability to quickly study and react to complex issues, and resolve conflict effectively in a firm but fair manner.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to take action confidently and decisively.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?