Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Senior Project Engineer
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values, acts as a resource for the Project Managers and Superintendents, providing technical, administrative and training support, with an emphasis on project engineering. Leads the engineering staff and provides technical oversight for preconstruction and early works, and sets up project files for construction phase.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Ensures strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements throughout the company.
- Supports and drives utilization of Coastal’s initiatives and technology systems.
- Fosters and enhances owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
- Suggests updates and improvements to procedures manuals including new procedures for areas not covered.
- Collaborates and attends meetings with architects and engineers on various topics important to the industry.
- Collects best practices or good examples and formats for various procedures or methods, and shares with other projects.
- Understands Coastal’s Contract and Subcontract Agreements.
- Assesses information necessary to construct the project on time, within budget and to the quality specified by the contract documents for the project.
- Performs constructability review during preconstruction on assigned projects. Supports GMP preparation and/or estimate preparation as required.
- Reviews documents for general conformance to national and local building codes and Coastal’s internal policies.
- Oversees the document control process for all addenda, ASIs, CCDs, CICs and other directives and revisions. Manages the proper distribution of revisions to the General Superintendent, field, and all subcontractors including updates and maintenance of as-builts.
- Administers technical aspects of the contract documents with the owner’s consultants and subcontractors to ensure that all technical aspects of the project are being addressed.
- Actively participates in the start-up of each project and maintains a continuous general overview of the Engineering procedures.
- Manages control line and coordination process including coordination of meetings with subcontractors and distribution of updated coordination drawings to field staff and subcontractors.
- Reviews and distributes minutes of meetings associated with the project.
- Conducts weekly inspections of construction site to ensure compliance with technical requirements.
- Ensures strict adherence to technical requirements of the contract documents.
- Oversees use of Project Management System to:
- Prepare drawings logs.
- Log-in, track and review shop drawings and submittals.
- Create and update vendor and subcontractor Contact Log.
- Submit, track response and issue Requests for Information.
- Tracks all plan revisions submissions to municipalities.
- Takes monthly videos/pictures and distribute for monthly management meetings.
- Sets up and attends OAC meetings.
- Assists Project Manager and Project Executive with any additional duties.
- Tracks the delivery and process of all necessary manuals to the owner. Consolidates project documentation and files.
- Tracks the assembling, distributing and filing of all as-built drawings, warranties, certificates of occupancy, and final lien releases for the project.
- Turns over to the owner all required Close-out documents as requested by the Senior Project Manager or Project Manager.
- Assists in managing subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, and punch list process.
- Responsible for off-site document storage and retrieval.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or related field.
- 7+ years of experience in the construction industry.
- 2+ years on projects related to LEED construction and management.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency with:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule.
- Good understanding of LEED principles.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good client management skills and ability to build goodwill.
- Effective time management skills and logical decision-making ability.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative. Able to quickly study and react to complex issues.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to confidently and decisively take action.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?