Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity:Estimator ll
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values. Assist estimating team in the preparation of select sections of schematics, design development and construction document estimates for one or more disciplines. Support estimating team by soliciting subcontractor bids, evaluating scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications, and acquiring the knowledge and skills to manage increasingly difficult and more complex trade packages as requested.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Develop proficiency in reading and interpreting project plans while acquiring a thorough understanding of drawings and specifications to review for compatibility.
- Develop an understanding of project specifications in both CSI and Unit Price formats.
- Understand alternates and breakout prices.
- Support Estimator I to develop their proficiency and use of the Smart-Bid system.
- Prepare subcontractor bid lists using the Smart-Bid system, under the direction of the project and/or senior estimators.
- Assist new subcontractors with the pre-qualification process, continuously verifying bid status throughout.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the subcontractor market.
- Initiate calls for subcontractor pricing and follow up, receive and process quotes and/or proposals.
- Reply to subcontractor inquiries throughout bid process, escalating to senior estimators as needed.
- Develop clear and concise qualification & assumption narratives explaining the scope of work.
- Develop proficiency in the On-Screen Take-Off Program and train Estimators I accordingly.
- Perform accurate square foot analysis of any project in a timely manner, and mentor assistant estimators accordingly.
- Demonstrate understanding of, and proficiency in MS Excel estimate formats.
- Develop familiarity with departmental standards and forms, learning why, when and how they are used.
- Perform accurate quantity surveys, as directed by the estimating team.
- Prepare scopes of work for basic bid packages with limited oversight and submit to subcontractors for inclusion in pricing. Collect bids in a timely manner and review for accuracy and completion.
- Review scope sheets for omissions or missing data points, updating accordingly.
- Create master scope sheet containing subcontractor proposals for review by project estimator, senior estimator or VP of preconstruction.
- Manage multiple ongoing tasks simultaneously.
- Prepare adequately for meetings, and be ready to provide status reports.
- Participate in local industry-related organizations such as ABC, CASF, ASPE etc.
- Perform product research as needed.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, architecture or related field preferred.
- Prior experience as an estimator or project engineer for a general contractor or subcontractor preferred.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Ability to read blueprints and understanding of construction methods.
- Ability to pay meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word and/or other estimating tools and technology.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?