Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Senior Estimator
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values. Prepare thorough and accurate project estimates including ROM, schematics, design development and construction document estimates. Provide oversight, direction and mentorship to team responsible for preparing estimates. Manage all aspects of multiple estimates simultaneously, and be accountable for the end product delivered.
Protect Coastal’s interests with every estimate.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of producing estimates as directed. Work with Operations to properly quantify logistics involved.
- Oversee the preparation of estimates in the preconstruction phase from concept estimates through to the final estimate.
- Oversee all estimators assigned to the project, including ensuring timely completion of work assigned.
- Gather and disseminate all relevant information to ensure a complete and accurate cost model representing the most accurate scope and design intent.
- Schedule complete estimates, ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Correspond with Design Team to resolve questions or conflicts and address missing information, where applicable.
- Direct the establishment of an initial call list and monitor during estimate preparation.
- Confirm that operations managers have reviewed and approved initial call list, with approval of the project executive and Operations Department prior to solicitation of subcontractors and suppliers.
- Review subcontractor bids with all team members and oversee delivery of final copy Subcontractor Bid Tabulation Form.
- Ensure adequate qualified subcontractor coverage required for a complete and competitive estimate.
- Ensure calls to subcontractors for bids are initiated. Maintain contact with bid team throughout the process to ensure complete and timely pricing on bid day.
- Ensure that preparation, review and distribution of all documents required to prepare a cost estimate have been completed.
- Assign preparation of, and review quantity surveys for applicable scopes required to provide accurate subcontractor comparison and/or schematic estimating.
- Work with project executive to prepare the schedule, site logistics, general conditions and general requirements, ensuring they are completed on a timely basis for incorporation into the final estimate.
- Create general conditions and requirements for a project as necessary.
- Provide Risk Management Department with required information, on a timely basis, to allow for preparation of correct insurance and bonding costs for inclusion in the final estimate.
- Generate value engineering alternatives that will maintain the design intent while providing better value to the owner without increasing risk to Coastal.
- Assist with decision making on value of schedule impacts, changes and material substitutions.
- Establish scopes of work and review subcontractor pricing for conformance. Includes assessing accurate cost for any missing scope and coordinating scope review to ensure there are no duplications or omissions.
- Identify and resolve potential design issues that could result in a change order and report such instances to the client and design professionals.
- Ensure inclusion of all addenda and RFI’s into the final estimate.
- Conduct and attend all project meetings, as required, during the estimating process.
- Assemble estimates for review with SVP’s of Preconstruction and Operations.
- Review estimate pricing for all CSI divisions.
- Review all scopes of work assigned to team members and confirm updates to scope, as necessary. Check for duplication or omissions.
- Schedule and manage final estimate reviews with senior management on a timely basis.
- Prepare a detailed list of qualifications and assumptions to support the estimate.
- Direct the delivery of final bound estimate to the owner. Present this document jointly with Operations, ensuring owner understands all clarifications, costs and scope included in the estimate.
- Provide input to the project executive and risk manager for the selection of subcontractors and suppliers through the preparation of a buy-out list.
- Follow up with subcontractors not awarded the project to maintain an ongoing, collaborative relationship.
- Participate in local industry-related organizations such as ABC, CASF, ASPE etc. Work toward a senior leadership role through ongoing professional development.
- Provide mentoring and assistance to other team members.
- Participate in presentations, demonstrating our preconstruction capabilities, and actively support the Company's marketing efforts.
- Ensure all estimating and bid documents are properly filed at the completion of the final estimate.
- Maintain contact and foster a collaborative relationship with the owner.
- Motivate all team members.
- Assist with employee evaluations.
- Demonstrate awareness of current market trends and developments in the construction industry including changing market conditions, or other factors that may impact our method of bidding and pricing projects.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, architecture or related field.
- Prior experience as an estimator or project engineer for a general contractor or construction manager required.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Proficiency in all skills required for positions leading up to senior estimator position.
- Strong proficiency in reading and interpreting construction documentation including project plans, specifications, addenda, reports, contracts etc.
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel and Word.
- Ability to pay meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong team management and leadership skills.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?