Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Assistant Superintendent
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values, assists the Superintendent in the building of the project, assuming responsibility for managing a portion of the actual building process, and developing the skills and experience needed to grow into the Superintendent’s role.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the general contract, subcontract documents, drawings and specifications under direction from the Superintendent.
- Checks and verifies subcontractor layout to ensure compliance with established control, line and grade.
- Monitors production and records rates in logbook to be used for future scheduling.
- Maintains a set of production documents and updates daily so an accurate picture of work in place is consistently maintained.
- Reports any and all field conditions and issues to the Superintendent.
- Monitors job progress on-site, checking all work to endue compliance with contract documents and the Quality Control Program.
- Works with the Superintendent to develop and carry out the plan and schedule for the project work.
- Plans and prepares documentation to facilitate the close out process at the discretion of the Superintendent.
- Maintains and reviews the safety requirements for the project and resolve or report deficiencies to the Superintendent and Safety Manager.
- Works with and coaches field engineers on the project to facilitate their skills development.
- Assists in maintaining the Construction Management Plan and logistical coordination.
- Assists the Superintendent on all day-to-day job site activities including OSHA safety compliance.
- Communicates issues, events, performance and progress daily to the Superintendent.
- Establishes effective working relationships with clients and Coastal’s team members.
- Requests advice and assistance from the Superintendent on matters pertaining to materials, sequencing, scheduling and personnel.
- Assists the Superintendent in the development of the start-up schedule.
- Fosters and enhances owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
- Ensures strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements throughout the company.
- Supports and drives utilization of Coastal’s initiatives and technology systems.
- Conducts inspection of construction.
- Ensures that all products and materials incorporated into the project are per approved submittals and contract documents.
- Communicates with Coastal’s Project Management Team, subcontractors and vendors to assist them in working to the Project Schedule.
- Assists in formulating and implementing the construction schedule in the field. Develops two week look ahead schedules for areas of responsibility.
- Assists in establishing and implementing the Project Baseline Schedule based on the project contracts and subcontractor input.
- Assists in maintaining the schedule and ensures that work performed is consistent with the contract and will meet or exceed client expectations.
- Assists in insuring that the inspections and material testing are approved, documented and communicated to the project team.
- Assisst in organizing documentation of the job site for easy access and review.
- Assists in managing all phases of the construction process including documenting and reporting site activities and progress, manages excavations and assists with Job Site Utilization Plan.
- Attends project turnover, mobilization and project coordination meetings.
- Attends safety pre-construction meetings and weekly foreman and safety meetings.
- Attends monthly schedule review meetings.
- Attends closeout meetings.
- Attends owner meetings.
- Attends subcontractor meetings and any others necessary meetings to monitor and manage the project.
- Assists in completing daily reports on a daily basis and maintain logs of key activities, files and shop drawings.
- Assists in managing the quality and condition of all material deliveries.
- Maintains required safety reporting and all other required files to Coastal’s standards.
- Assists in the review and response of RFI, Shop Drawings, Product Data and any other document required for the successful completion of the project.
- Assists in managing subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training and punch list.
- Understands and administers Coastal’s Contract and Subcontract Agreements.
- Assists in verifying that the document control processes for all addenda, ASI’s and Drawing Revisions are kept up to date on the field working drawing set.
- Reviews memos and minutes for meetings associated with the projects.
Education / Experience:
- Associate’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in the construction industry.
- 1+ years in the role of Field Engineer.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency with:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Primavera P-6, hand written two week drawing look aheads
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule.
- Able to multi-task and handle competing priorities between Coastal’s business needs and organizational issues while maintaining excellent customer relations.
- Able to understand business judgment and the balance between budget and construction processes.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the many details necessary for successful construction.
- Excellent management skills to effectively manage subcontractor performance to high quality.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative, and the ability to quickly study and react to complex issues, and resolve conflict effectively in a firm but fair manner.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to take action confidently and decisively.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?