Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Assistant Project Manager
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values, acts as a resource for the Project Manager in running the day-to- day project management operations on the job.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Assists in fostering and enhancing owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
- Ensures strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements throughout the company.
- Supports and drives utilization of Coastal’s initiatives and technology systems.
- Conducts periodic inspection of construction sites.
- Assists the Project Manager in administering financial aspects of the Owner’s contract, subcontracts, and purchase orders.
- Assists the Project Manager in ensuring that all subcontracts and proper Certificates of Insurance and Bonds are on file prior to commencement of work by any subcontractor.
- Assists in tracking the expiration date of each insurance policy for the subcontractors working on site.
- Understands Coastal’s Contract and Subcontract Agreements.
- Assists in the document control process for all addenda, ASI’s and drawing revisions.
- Distributes revised plans and specifications to the General Superintendent, field, and all subcontractors as directed by the Project Manager or Senior Project Manage
- Assists in preparing minutes for meetings associated with the project owner’s and subcontractors’ meetings.
- Utilizes Project Management System to:
- Log-in and track Contracts & Purchase Orders.
- Log-in, track and review shop drawings and submittals.
- Log-in and receive Insurance Certificates.
- Create and update Vendor and Subcontractor Contact Log.
- Submit, track response and issue Requests for Information.
- Assists Project Manager with the preparation of the pay application process and follows up to ensure timely receipt of payments to maintain a cash positive project.
- Responsible for submitting for building permits, following up with any issues related to this.
- Tracks all plan revisions, and their submissions to municipalities.
- Assists in following up on contracts, insurance certificates, insurance discrepancies and contract modifications with Coastal’s Risk Management Department.
- Assists in addressing Subcontractor issues.
- Assists with Project Schedule Narratives.
- Takes monthly videos/pictures and distributes to Executive Vice President of Operations for monthly management meetings.
- Sets up coordination meetings with subcontractors.
- Writes up descriptions for Purchase Orders and Subcontract Requests.
- Assists Project Manager with any additional duties.
- Assists in delivering all necessary manuals to the owner, consolidates project documentation and files.
- Assists in obtaining, assembling, distributing and filing all as-built drawings, warranties, certificates of occupancy, and final lien releases for the project.
- Assists in obtaining the release of any bonds posted during construction by Coastal or any subcontractor.
- Turns over to the owner all required Close-out Documents as requested by the Senior Project Manager or Project Manage
- Assists in managing subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, and punch list process.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in the construction industry.
- 1+ year’s experience in estimating.
- 2+ years in the role of Project Engineer.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency with:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Minimum knowledge of construction cost, scheduling, estimating, purchasing and engineering principles and techniques, as well as accounting principles.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule.
- Good understanding of LEED Principals.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Possess Good client management and goodwill building ability.
- Effective time management and logical decision-making ability.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities between Coastal’s business needs, organizational issues, and sound customer relations.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative. Able to quickly study and react to complex issues.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to confidently and decisively take action.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?