Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Senior Project Manager
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values, is responsible for coordinating and managing all necessary resources throughout the entire project, from start-up through closeout, ensuring that both the owner’s and Coastal’s expectations and budgetary guidelines are met. Responsibilities for projects include: budget, costs, schedule, risk management, insurances, general work performance, quality, and overall progress against the plan. May be responsible for the management of a single large project or multiple small-to-medium sized projects.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Develop a high performance team through supervision, training, coaching and mentoring.
- Ensures regular feedback is shared with subordinates, including timely completion of employee performance appraisals.
- Fosters and enhances owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
- Ensures strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements throughout the company.
- Drives competencies to team on requirements for insurance, labor relations and employee relations.
- Supports and drives utilization of Coastal’s initiatives and technology systems.
- Creates the teams, develops the objectives/goals of each and assigns individual responsibilities.
- Develops the project work plans and makes revisions as and when need arises.
- Conducts periodic inspection of construction sites.
- Leads and communicates with Coastal’s Field Supervision, subcontractors and vendors to assist them in working to the Project Schedule.
- Represents Coastal with owners, architects, consultants, government authorities, vendors and subcontractors.
- Administers financial aspects of the owner’s contract, subcontracts, and purchase orders.
- Produces thorough forecast of Cost-to-Complete which drills down to identify potential exposures.
- Produces an accurate percent complete projection to support Coastal’s financial management process.
- Acts as a Subject Matter Expert, able to teach the Standard Operating Procedures for budget updating to others.
- Works with Preconstruction and Estimating Team in the development of project estimates, reviews subcontractor scope of work and constructability review comments.
- Reviews and assists in the development of the Subcontractor Bid List.
- Steers the buyout process of the project in an expedited and proficient manner. Makes certain the buyout schedule is established and maintained on a weekly basis.
- Ensures a Permit log is developed, the permit process is tracked and all required permits from the various governmental agencies are secured.
- Reviews and provides cost savings options. In addition keep abreast of the state-of-the-art techniques.
- Evaluates project for possible hazards and risk with the Vice President of Safety and jointly develops a Risk Analysis and Safety Plan.
- Ensures that all performance and payment bonds or letters of credit, if required, have been received.
- Reviews the owner contract, subcontractor’s contract and contract documents to confirm the budget setup and project milestones are correct.
- Works with the Project Manager to produce an effective Schedule of Values which supports a strong cash flow position. Reviews each subcontractor’s initial Schedule of Values to prevent overpayment.
- Ensures that all subcontracts and proper Certificates of Insurance and Bonds are on file prior to commencement of work by any subcontractor. In addition makes certain the project team is tracking the expiration date of each Insurance Policy for the subcontractors working on site.
- Understands and administers Coastal’s Contract and Subcontract Agreements.
- Makes certain the Master Project Schedule is established, updated and communicated to the owner and subcontractor.
- Manages budget and financial reporting such as MPSR’s; interprets and analyzes reports to insure adherence to project budget.
- Ensures that the document control processes for all addenda, ASI’s and Drawing Revisions are kept up to date. In addition, makes certain the project team distributes the revised plans and specifications to the General Superintendent, field, and to all subcontractors.
- Reviews memos and minutes for meetings associated with the projects.
- Makes certain the submittals, and RFI’s and their corresponding logs are kept up to date.
- Reviews the quality assurance/quality control program of the project.
- Provides leadership in risk evaluation, subcontractor’s contract and Change Order negotiations. In addition, requires the project team to produce a monthly Owner Change Order to prevent aging of PCO issues which further allows for timely closure of changes with subcontractors.
- Work with the Project Team to recover all legitimate GC costs relating to owner changes and ascertains that all contract allowances are tracked on a daily basis. Works with the Project Team to have an up-to-date of Change Order Requests (COR). In addition, reviews with the team the tracking of all field directives and back charges in Contract Management for timely processing on a monthly basis.
- Reviews and approves all pay applications and follows up to ensure timely receipt of payments to maintain a cash positive project. In addition, reviews sub/vendor requisitions to prevent payment of unsigned or unfunded Change Orders.
- Drives enforcement of safety protocols by the project staff.
- Keeps management informed on progress of project and budget through regularly scheduled Operation Review Meetings.
- Assures that Notices of Commencements are sent to vendors that file Notice of Furnishings.
- Reviews all owner, architect and subcontractor correspondence.
- Works with the project team to establish an effective Close-out plan early in the project which includes the early collection, review and packaging of contract Close-out documents. Implements the use of the Noncompliance Reporting System. Requires the team to utilize the Work List System to organize and manage the completion of phases of the work.
- Makes certain the Project Team delivers all necessary manuals to the owner, and that all project documentation and files are consolidated by company policy.
- Assists in obtaining information required for the loan closing.
- Makes certain that all close-out documents are obtained, assembled, and distributed, and files all as-built drawings, warranties, certificates of occupancy, and final lien releases for the project.
- Ascertains that the Project Team has obtained the release of any bonds posted during construction by Coastal or any subcontractor.
- Manages the turn over to the owner of all required Close-out documents.
- Manages subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, and punch list process.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or related field.
- 15+ years of experience in the construction industry.
- 10+ years in the role of Project Manager and must have worked as a Project Manager on a minimum of 5 projects with each having a budget in excess of $65 million.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency with:
- Microsoft Office suite
- Primavera P-6
- Sage 300
- Thorough knowledge of construction cost, scheduling, estimating, purchasing and engineering principles and techniques, as well as accounting principles.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule.
- Ability to implement leading-edge technologies such as BIM, LEED and LEAN.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Good client management skills and ability to build goodwill.
- Capacity to motivate, lead and boost morale of the teams.
- Effective time management skills and logical decision-making ability.
- Excellent business judgment demonstrated by consistently achieving profitability objectives and strong project close-outs with client and subcontractor relationships in good standing.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail evidenced by a strong command of all applicable contract and legal provisions.
- Ability to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities between Coastal’s business needs, organizational issues, and sound customer relations.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative. Able to quickly study and react to complex issues.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to confidently and decisively take action.
- Team leader with excellent diplomatic and communication skills, able to handle and resolve conflicts effectively in a firm but fair manner.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?