Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Estimator l
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values. Responsible for assisting the estimating team in duties related to the preparation of estimates. Expected to develop and hone skills required for the preparation of estimates in effort to contribute proactively, under the guidance of the project and/or senior estimators.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Develop proficiency in reading and interpreting project plans while acquiring a thorough understanding of drawings and specifications to review for compatibility.
- Develop an understanding of project specifications in both CSI and Unit Price formats.
- Learn to set up new projects, while maintaining existing and ongoing projects in the Smart-Bid system.
- Utilize the Smart-Bid system to prepare subcontractor bid lists under the direction of the project and/or senior estimators.
- Prepare and issue Invitations to Bid, continuously maintaining bid status and keeping team informed.
- Assist new subcontractors with the pre-qualification process, continuously verifying bid status throughout.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the subcontractor market. Initiate calls for subcontractor pricing and follow up, receive and process quotes and/or proposals.
- Reply to subcontractor inquiries during the bid process, escalating to senior estimators as needed.
- Develop proficiency in the On-Screen Take-Off Program.
- Learn to perform accurate square foot analysis of any project in a timely manner.
- Develop understanding of, and proficiency in MS Excel estimate formats.
- Develop familiarity with departmental standards and forms, learning why, when and how they are used.
- Learn how to prepare scopes of work, using standard scope sheets during the bidding process.
- Learn to perform accurate quantity surveys, as directed by the estimating team.
- Learn how to prepare estimates for selective trade packages to be incorporated into the overall estimate.
- Participate in local industry-related organizations such as ABC, CASF, ASPE etc.
- Perform product research as needed.
Education / Experience:
- Associate’s degree in a field related to construction preferred.
- Employment experience in a related field preferred.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Basic understanding of blueprints and construction methods
- Ability to pay meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and other general computer applications
- Strong written and verbal skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?