Building is in our blood. Enthusiasm and a love for what we do have fueled a lifetime in construction. Construction has been a Murphy family calling for four generations. The first Tom Murphy was an immigrant carpenter with a passion for quality that has driven Coastal since its founding in 1988. We are dedicated to our core values, making our commitment to total quality and client satisfaction absolute. It's Not Just Business... It's Personal.
Today, Coastal is ranked in the top 100 construction management companies in the country and in June of 2014, Coastal was recognized as the "Southeast Contractor of the Year" by Engineering News Record (ENR), the preeminent magazine for the construction industry worldwide.
With a distinguished roster of public and private clients, Coastal focuses on nine primary markets: Commercial, Hospitality, Education, Residential, Mixed-Use, Interiors, Worship, Historic Restoration & Disaster Recovery
Career Opportunity: Project Estimator
Support and consistently reinforce Coastal’s Core Values. Assist estimating team in the preparation of select sections of schematics, design development and construction document estimates for one or more disciplines. Support estimating team by soliciting subcontractor bids, evaluating scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications, and acquiring the knowledge and skills to manage increasingly difficult and more complex trade packages as requested.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate proficiency in reading and interpreting project plans.
- Review drawings and specifications for compatibility, errors, omissions and conformance to design criteria.
- Demonstrate understanding of project specifications in both CSI and Unit Price formats.
- Set up new projects, while maintaining ongoing projects in the Smart-Bid system.
- Prepare vendor lists using the Smart-Bid system, under the direction of the project and/or senior estimators.
- Select qualified bidders to deliver competitive proposals for selected scopes of work.
- Maintain constant communication with subcontractors to ensure thorough and timely responses.
- Assist new subcontractors with the pre-qualification process, continuously verifying bid status throughout.
- Reply to subcontractor inquiries throughout bid process, escalating to senior estimators as needed.
- Demonstrate familiarity with departmental standards and forms understanding why, when and how they are used.
- Prepare scopes of work for basic bid packages with limited oversight and submit to subcontractors for inclusion in pricing.
- Prepare scopes of work for all basic bid packages with limited oversight and submit to subcontractors for inclusion in pricing. Collect bids in a timely manner and review for accuracy and completion.
- Review scope sheets for omissions or missing data points, updating accordingly.
- Coordinate scope review with other estimators to prevent duplications or omissions.
- Incorporate all addenda and RFI responses into final estimate.
- Acquire ability to price work appropriately by evaluating crews, material pricing, equipment costs, productivity factors, labor rates, taxes and insurance, mark-ups, etc.
- Manage multiple ongoing tasks simultaneously.
- Assess industry trends and potential impact on future projects.
- Prepare detailed list of qualifications and clarifications for scopes assigned and include in final version submitted to client.
- Initiate value engineering suggestions from subcontractors and follow up to confirm validity.
- Follow up with subcontractors not awarded the project to maintain an ongoing, collaborative relationship.
- Take initiative to develop proficiency in all trade classifications.
- Foster owner relationship with preconstruction team.
- Provide valuable information and updates to senior leadership to aid in decision making regarding subcontractors, value engineering, construction methodology etc.
- Participate in local industry-related organizations such as ABC, CASF, ASPE etc.
- Perform product research as needed.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, architecture or related field preferred.
- Prior experience as an estimator or project engineer for a general contractor or major subcontractor preferred.
- Field experience in the construction industry required.
Knowledge / Skills Required:
- Strong proficiency in reading and interpreting construction documentation including project plans, specifications, addenda, reports, contracts etc.
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel and Word.
- Prior experience with construction related estimating programs.
- Ability to pay meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong team participation skills.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Cafeteria plan
- Paid holidays and vacations and sick leave
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match
Coastal is driven by honest, hardworking and dedicated professionals. We are committed to hiring the best and brightest talent in the construction industry. We know that our people set us apart. Do you have what it takes?